Syrbar External Intelligence Service of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – Syrbar Service) is a state body directly subordinate and accountable to the President of and responsible for foreign intelligence activities.
Syrbar Service has a statutory basis in the Constitution and laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan «On the approval of Regulations on Syrbar External Intelligence Service of the Republic of Kazakhstan» #773 of 26 March 2009, other acts of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan and normative legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Syrbar Service is entrusted with the following main tasks:
- obtaining intelligence to protect the interests of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- providing the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Government and state bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan with intelligence and all-source analysis in political, financial-economic, military-political, scientific-technical, humanitarian and ecological spheres;
- promoting economic development and scientific-technical progress of the country as well as military-technical support of the security of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- participation in working out and creation of conditions promoting realization of the state policy in the national security sphere;
- realization of measures directed to the exclusion of real and potential damage to national interests and security of the Republic of Kazakhstan, its organizations, establishments and citizens from the part of foreign special services and organizations, individuals, terrorist and extremist organizations abroad;
- taking part in providing security of diplomatic missions of the Republic of Kazakhstan and their personnel;
- coordination of activity of other foreign intelligence bodies;
- other tasks defined by the laws and acts of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The structure of Syrbar Service is organized according to the assigned tasks includes operative, analytical, technical departments, scientific-research establishments, as well as legal, personnel, maintenance and other departments.